Dear More Funner People

And now for something I didn't know...the use of funner and funnest is a generational thing and I do not belong to this funner/funnest generation, but I may be willing to be flexible on this one. The word "fun" has always been and always will be a noun, but since the 1970s it has been increasingly used and accepted as an adjective and, therefore; its comparative and superlative forms have transitioned from "more fun" to "funner" and "most fun" to "funnest". While funner and funnest still sound ridiculous to my pre-1970s language-learning ear, I can accept this change in an informal sense since it follows standardized grammatical structure for adjectives...but just this once! See, I'm more funner than you thought!

1 comment:

  1. this stupid people song is funner too... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB7U70x3TJI

    ReplyDelete